Monday, January 17, 2011

24 November 2007 WiFi, ADSL, And All Jazz

More...

The totally free WiFi service is being installed in New York this week by the communication group CBS, called the " Mobile Zone ", following the given steps by Google, which already offers public connection in some points of the city, like Bryant park and Central Park, supported by Nokia. The system will be fully operational in a month.

Anyone with a PC or mobile phone, equipped with WiFi connection, can navigate Internet or make PC to PC calls, covering 20 blocks of skyscrapers from Times Square to Columbus Circle, the district with the major density of buildings in the world. It's also the area most frequented by tourists.

Here I am in Roses, Spain, only 2 hour's distance from the ultra modern and vibrant city Barcelona. My ADSL connection costs me € 70 a month and, daily without exception, I have to put up with repeated failure of all sorts: slow start, sudden breakdowns, blackouts, unexplainable distortions of images, lost of data and files .... And, there's not a single shop in my little town that's manned with a capable mechanic, or anyone for that matter who knows much more than I do and , believe me, I know next to nothing!! Not with anything mechanical or electronic that is.

There are several shops that sell the latest models of computers, but don't expect them to tell you even how to switch on or explain anything regarding the functionality of the machine. Pay your bill and pray it never goes wrong, or they will stay wrong forever. Unless, if you take their advice and have the machine sent back to the original factory. That would mean you will not have it back for a couple of months and meanwhile still paying the connection fee, also paying all costs of the heavy, certified or/and insured postage, Or, you can take it to Figueras, the nearest city only half an hour's drive away, but from what I heard, none of the shops there are exactly brilliant either!

I learn to cope, exasperatingly and painfully slowly. May never catch up with the rabbit but I will get there eventually, exhausted to be sure, but triumphant, hopefully.



More: http://www.hsengine.com/s_My+WiFi+Zone.html

No comments:

Post a Comment