Friday, April 22, 2011

Useless Education

More...



I was in my favorite watering hole last night watching a baseball game. Sitting at the bar so I could have a conversation with the bar keep, when in walks two ladies casually dressed looking like two average college girls. I proceeded to engage them in light conversation when the subject of their two majors came up. I must have had to three beers in me, maybe enough for me to have a slightly loosened tongue. When the one girl tell me she's majoring in "fashion" I about feel on the floor. So I kinda belted out "they give degrees in fashion at the state college?" Well I said it in a way that was highly sarcastic and laughing all the while. The other girl told me she was majoring in "public relations," upon which I said "another worthless degree."
That did it and next thing I know this girl starts accusing me of all sorts of things most of which stemmed from me being alone and an obvious loser. So I replied "well I'm 57 and you two are 22 and you are both alone, what's your excuse." It escalated to where I could not get a word in, so I just let them rant. Eventually they left to go sit in another part of the bar. Neither of them at all fashionable, with rings in their lips and one girl had one in her nose. I think piercings are just ugly and degrading, but that's just me. The bar keep thought the exchange was rather funny also.
The point is are we so bad at educating our kids that we have to offer a major in "fashion." Isn't that a career you would gravitate towards after learning design. I'm thinking this has got to be one of the most narrow courses of study ever. To think we groom kids to fill such a minuscule niche when we have so many real problems that need addressing. But the kids only think about how much money a top notch fashion designer makes without realizing how hard it is to ever get any real recognition in that world. What kind of culture do we have where everybody thinks they can ride the gravy train?
I would consider a degree in fashion a worthless piece of paper. The colleges must be dumbing down their curriculum in an appeasement to the education levels of the incoming students. A four year degree now takes five on average because so many students are required to take remedial classes before they can actually start real college classes. But to offer a four degree in "fashion," that's ridiculous and frankly I don't like my tax dollars going to fund such frivolous and inane college curriculum. 
This country needs more engineers, technicians and teachers, that's where our priorities should lie. Promoting problem solvers, not people who tell us what to wear this year.


More: http://www.hsengine.com/s_Education.html

No comments:

Post a Comment