Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Learning how to live life in India

More...

I'm working my way through my third week in India and I feel like I'm figuring how to live life over here.  I'm a creature of habit so it's a great relief when I can figure out how to do something such that I don't need to give it further thought each day.  

Here's a list of what I've learned so far:

    The auto-rick-shaw.  These 3 wheel cabs are everywhere here, but using them as a method of transportation is a minefield of possible mistakes.  I hope to get a car soon, but in the meantime I've learned the following:

    a- On the way into work, just walk over to the tea stand about a half block from my home.  There will be many drivers there.  Announce the destination ("MG Road??")  and any driver interested in going to that part of town will shout out a price.  I accept any price under 50 rupees ($1) for the 1 mile journey.
    b- The way home from work is a bit more tricky.  First cross MG road from work so that the cabs going past you are going the right direction.  Crossing MG road is a life in your hands type operation, but you must be bold to get across.  Next catch a cab to Gaurdia Mall which is only a 10-15 min walk away (5 min ride).  This should cost about 20 rupees.  Drivers are eager to go there because traffic is light on the way, and there is always someone else to pickup, so it's an easy 20 rupees for them.  Once there walk against traffic on a one way street across Richmond road which is the big traffic problem the drivers want to avoid.  I usually keep walking to Hosour Road, at that point it's another short 5 min ride to the home, although this is a nice walk so I often just walk this section too.

    Shopping.  Shopping often involves standing in multiple lines.  For example at the grocery store, alcohol and meat are sold at separate cash registers within the store (a little like a store within a store).  Also all fruits and veggies must be weighed at a separate station (you don't pay there, just get weighed).  This means a typical grocery run may involve standing in 4 separate lines.  This is just part of life here.  Get used to it, relax, leave yourself lots of time.

    TV.   TV is pretty much just like North America, but my TV has one HUGE difference.  The volume rather than being a global setting is set individually for  EVERY channel.  That means if you've got HBO cranked then move to discovery and turn it down, next time you go back to HBO it will still be LOUD.  Interesting, and I must say I don't like it.  Nothing like channel surfing after the kids go to bed and hitting an Indian musical at full volume!

    Electricity.  Strangely every plug here has a switch beside it.  This confused me for a long time until I realized that plugging something in with the switch turned on creates a fair sized spark nearly every time.  I have no idea what might cause this, I'm sure the current here is different (volts-amps-hertz I have no idea what the difference is).  The difference is clear though because if I plug something from the US in to charge it works fine, but if I plug in my hair clippers they don't work well at all.  So yea, to avoid the spark turn the switch off until you're firmly plugged in.

    Homes.  Made out of concrete.  Not just a slab either, the entire structure is solid concrete, including interior walls.  This means things are build strong and built to last, but it also means your out of luck if you don't like the way your floor plan.  Despite the nice strong walls, it's clear that building codes are not strictly enforced around here.

That's all for now, I'll write more soon!    



More: http://www.hsengine.com/s_hertz.html

No comments:

Post a Comment