Friday, December 24, 2010

The M Word

More...



Why is it that the M word is taboo? It’s almost blasphemous! People shy away from it. Why? It’s a fact of life. It’s something that affects us all, both female & male. What is that M word we just can’t bring ourselves to say aloud? Menopause! We all know a woman who is either going through the menopause right now or is post menopausal. All those women have a husband, brother or son who are equally affected by the symptoms, just by being in close proximity to that woman!

I’m going through the menopause right now. In fact, I’m a rather unusual menopausal woman. Most women fall into what is termed the ‘normal process’ by which I mean that their cycles decrease irregularly into non exultancy over several years. Along the way they suffer a series of symptoms I’m sure we are all aware. There’s multitude of help & advice out there....... 

I fall into a seemingly unusual category. Until 2005 I could set the time by my cycle. I knew almost to the hour when my cycle would start & stop. They stopped; just stopped abruptly.

“Not possible,” I’m told even by those with medical knowledge.

They look at me as if I’m a freak. I don’t have hot flushes or night sweats although I do occasionally get quite hot for no apparent reason. Until 2005 I was a confident woman. I walked with fear, never in fear. Now fear rules my life. I suffer from anxiety, panic attacks & depression. I cry for no obvious reason. Suddenly I’ll sob uncontrollably; I scream & I don’t know why. An hour or two later, I’m back to normal (whatever that is; ha, ha!) Five years later these bouts have grown less frequent although more intense. My positive here is that because they are less frequent, I fell that sometime down the line they’ll stop altogether. My problem is their intensity.

Because I don’t fall into the accepted ‘norm’ no one wants to know. I’m left on my own to cope; alone with Paul. All anyone can tell me is that it’s down to the menopause. I’ve had no treatment because no one knows what to do with ‘my case’. The only thing that anyone can tell me is to talk to my friends. They don’t want to know. I’ve lost count of the ‘friends’ that have turned their back on me & walked away. I figure the positive there is that it proves they never were my friends to start with; they just wanted to be my friend for the good times. I’ve had a couple of friends who tell Paul he can speak to them anytime for a chat. That’s fine; I’ve no problem with that at all. I’m glad he has people to chat to. But what about me? Who am I suppose to talk to?

I’ve researched on the internet. Seemingly, it’s my estrogenic level that’s probably the root problem. I’ve yet to find any real answer for cycles that finish abruptly. All that is ever said is that this scenario is ‘very rare’. It’s always said that I had to be different!!

The good news is that recently I discovered a healthcare company that produces a menopausal cream. I fit the bill for its ‘suitable for’ criteria. I sent for some. I wait & see what the results will be. There has to be something out there that’ll help me. I pray this cram is it.

“It’s hard to be a woman,” sings Tammy Wynette. It’s even harder being me.



More: http://www.hsengine.com/s?w=Unusual+Facts

No comments:

Post a Comment