Thursday, December 30, 2010

Abandoned Road

More...

There's a desire, a stirring my heart. I want to return to the north. Two years ago I wanted to climb one of the great mountains. But I didn't quite get to the top. A distraction stopped the climb, and instead I found myself in a tall dark forest.

The attached photos are of an abandoned road. Once a driveable road. I drove up and back several times. I've taken friends to this place. This forest is west of Kempsey, in New South Wales, Australia. Now fallen trees are crossing the road.

This forest is known as Cool Temperate Rainforest. In all my travels, I have never seen anything this good. Big trees, ancient wonders of the rainforest world. Antarctic Beech, Yellow Carabeen, Coachwood, Soft Corkwood. This is one of the greatest forests in all Australia. On two trips I drove there, just to sleep in a tent under this forest. The first night was quiet and still. After midnight a wind blew in the high tree tops above the tent, waking me. An approaching army marched above, rattling the canopy leaves. Came and went.

Then the forest was reclaimed by calm. Two years later I again slept in the same tent, in the same spot. A misty night, the tent constantly dripped by falling water from above. A foggy night.

And at the foggy dawn, the next morning, waking to a howling of a pack of dingoes. Earlier I heard small animals on the other side of the tent, sniffing, kicking around. What were they? Pademelons, bettongs, bandicoots, quolls, antechinus?

Travelling for such a long distance, just to climb a mountain. But instead, I just stayed nearby in the forest. Just under the summit. It was so good, I didn't want to leave. And when there, I thought; "who cares about climbing to the top of Mount Banda-Banda?"

bye PETER xxx


More: http://www.hsengine.com/s?w=Tent+Canopies

No comments:

Post a Comment