Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Passing of a Legend, Pat Guye blog entry

More...



Word has just come from Marsha Ireland, Pat Guye's niece, that Pat passed away Friday morning 1/21/2011 in the nursing home where she was living.  An obituary will appear in the Augusta Chronicle on Sunday 1/23/2011.  There will be a private family service for Pat on Monday, 1/24/2011 at 3PM.

 

I searched through some old tapes, and found one I'd made of Pat's retirement party in ATL 11/2/1996 after 50 years of service with Delta Air Lines (and a few leaves in there).  There was much of Delta's living history represented in the room that night (Mary Ruth, Marlene, Dana Jones just to name a few). 

 

I also found the May 17, 1991 DISPATCH with featured an article on Pat honoring her for being the first Delta F/A to reach 45 years of service. That article states Pat began her Delta career on DC-3s in 1946, soon moving up to DC-4s, but some of her fondest memories were of the CV 880.

 

I will attach 2 pictures from Pat's retirement  party  at the Airport Westin Hotel (apologize for the quality) and three from the layover Pat and I shared in Long Beach, CA in March of 1990. One of the retirement party pictures shows Pat with Mike Davis and the other with 3 of Delta's early stewardesses in their old uniforms. Note one of the layover pictures shows Pat "posing" beside 2 bicycles.  Note I say posing, and we were taking the bus or walking, but I'm sure she thought the bikes made a good picture. In another picture that's "Howard Hughes" in the window of his Spruce Goose (in case you didn't recognize him).

 

In watching the video of Pat's  retirement party, I was listening to Jenny Poole's speech.  She said when Pat was hired, Delta had 15 DC3s and 1 DC4.  Six days after she was hired, Delta added a second DC4.  Stewardesses were paid $130 a month and $1 flight pay for hours over 50.  In 6 months she got a $20 raise.  It took her 7 years to double her salary to $260 a month (which wasn't bad in those days).  Delta had 2300 employees when she was hired. Jenny also mentioned that in the 1970's Pat taught "Touch of Class"--remember that?

 

At one time she was offered the chief stewardess position, which she turned down as she loved the line.

 

I knew Pat in IAH and her last years of flying were in CVG.  I can't speak to the other bases she was in.  I thought one of the speakers talked about being her roommate in MSY.

 

Her nearest of kin and the one supervising her care was her niece, Marsha.  Her address follows: Marsha Ireland, 704 Westminster Court, Augusta, GA 30909.

 

Some may wish to share memories of Pat.  If you send them to me I'll put them out to those on my list..........Sharon  sharonmattox@peoplepc.com  

 



 

1/9/2011.......I just spoke with Cynthia Hamilton.  After her Christmas card to Pat Guye was returned, she contacted Pat's niece Marsha Ireland (Pat's brother's daughter who lives in Augusta) to find out what was going on.  The news is not good.  Pat had been living in Augusta for several years in assisted living--the Alzheimer's wing.  She fell and is now living in a nursing home.  She lost 20 lbs. in the past month, is bedridden, emaciated and living on Ensure.  She doesn't know Marsha. Pat was 89 on her last birthday (Nov. 9). It's very sad for me to have to report this.  I wish to remember Pat the way she was when we went sightseeing together on our Long Beach layover, the Spruce Goose, Queen Mary, etc. That must have been in the 80's.  We had such a good time......I'll let you know if I hear anything more.........Sharon 



 
 
 
 
 
 


More: http://www.hsengine.com/s_obituary+search.html

No comments:

Post a Comment